Supporting our industry and communities
We are committed to making an impact not only for our industry, but also for the communities that we operate in.
To this end, we run a number of programmes and initiatives that enable our business and our people to make a difference.
Key initiatives include:
Developing the next generation of talent and fostering new ways to encourage entrants, of all backgrounds, into the auction and technology sectors are important to the future success of the online auction industry.
One area that’s particularly important to us is increasing the number of girls and young women that choose technology as a career. This year we worked with The Pennine Kids company, a social enterprise that gives young people the skills and meaningful careers advice to thrive in a competitive world. Through their flagship Cyberstreet business collaboration scheme, we spoke to girls at schools in the UK who are interested in STEM careers, about the skills, qualifications and personal qualities to succeed in a future workforce.
It is also essential that fresh talent is continually attracted to the exciting opportunities in the auction industry as a whole. An example of this is our support of BADA Friends – the British Antique Dealers Association – which provides a platform for the public to support the work of BADA’s Cultural and Educational Trust, and to promote learning and expertise in the fine art and antiques trade.
Each year we support industry events, whether through sponsorship or devotion of expertise, helping to support a virtuous circle of growth in the auction industry.
- Firsts – London’s Rare Book Fair. Every year we sponsor the Antiquarian Booksellers’ Association annual fair, which promotes the trading and collecting of rare books, maps, prints and manuscripts.
- Asian Art in London. Every year we are a primary sponsor of the festival, which promotes connoisseurship of – and trading in – Asian art and highlights London’s key role as a global art market hub.
- RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) Global Valuation Conference. We sponsor this event, which presents new opportunities for collaboration and the advancement of the valuation profession.
- National Auctioneers Association. Every year, we sponsor the NAA Conference and Show in North America, an event which explores innovative solutions to accelerate the future auction industry.
Charities are facing unprecedented fundraising challenges as a result of the pandemic, which means they are more reliant than ever on regular donations. We make an impact by supporting charities and causes that matter to our teams.
- This year, we launched Payroll Giving as a simple way for our people to support causes close to them with tax-free giving.
- Our Christmas charity appeal for Southwark Food Bank raised thousands of pounds, with employee donations matched by the Group.
- Other fundraising activities organised internally have this year raised valuable funds for mental health charity, Mind.
We also facilitate hundreds of charity auctions on our marketplaces each year, waiving our fees to ensure that all proceeds go to the charities. In our 2021 financial year, charity auctions hosted on our marketplaces raised almost £7m for good causes.