Software Development Manager
As a Software Development Manager, you will be managing 10+ direct reports based in the UK as well as overseeing work carried out by our external engineering partners. Your direct reports will be spread across agile product teams. You will be responsible for the engineering quality of our platform, managing incidents, and ensuring your teams build secure, quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions. As a Software Development Manager, you will have a passion for developing engineers, mentoring others, and maintaining a high bar for software quality.
THE TECH STACK
- Build flexible systems choosing simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
- Oversee and chair the CAB process.
- Coach, mentor, develop and inspire the engineering community including line management responsibilities.
- Oversee the work of external development partners and contractors.
- Define and implement good engineering patterns and practices.
- Identify, develop/acquire, and implement the necessary tools, frameworks and processes to support the patterns and practices.
- Architecture and design governance in collaboration with architects and engineering leads
- Technical due diligence of projects with a focus on security, quality, performance, maintainability, scalability, and best practice
- Work with product managers, and internal/external engineers to ensure product and technical work/programmes are broken down, sequenced, and resourced in a way that delivers maximum business value, minimises risk, and achieves our department objectives.
- Major Incident Response.
- Helping drive improvements in our platform visibility, observability, and resilience.
- Evangelism of operational excellence including facilitating operational metric reviews.
- Key contributor to the engineering roadmap including visualising and tracking tech debt.
- Project/Delivery Management of key engineering programmes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Experience managing engineers and a passion for people management and mentorship.
- Experience in partnering with product and UX teams.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud based distributed software design and development.
- Cloud engineering experience, ideally with both Azure and AWS including serverless.
- Experience with C#, .NET, and REST webservices.
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time.
- Experience cultivating and facilitating Agile (Scrum and Kanban), and Lean methodologies within software development teams.
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Experience with CI/CD processes.
- Experience with performance measuring & monitoring tools.
- Experience with Load, performance, and stress testing.
- High traffic, Gaming, or eCommerce retail platform experience.